My Stuff

Things I love, things I hate, things that make me happy, things that make me sad and all my other stuff.

Saturday, January 19, 2008

Ch-ch-check it.

Macleans did an article last month on the growing phenomenon that is Hip Hop Karaoke. (you can read it here)

Somewhere along the line after hearing about it from a friend...Ange thought it was a great idea! Ange. Of Brit pop and red-headed fame. Wants to do Hip Hop Karaoke. This is no ordinary karaoke. There's no bouncing ball and lyrics on the screen. Although they do provide the lyrics on a piece of paper - the majority of peeps just get up there and go. It is amazing. A skinny white dudes in an argyle sweater doing Common. Tiny little spanish girl belting out Layrn Hill lyrics. A long haired rocker going ol skool with a De La Soul track. And the crowd goes wild. My favourite was a flipino dude in glasses and his geeky looking friend who beatboxed throughout their entire performance of Slick Rick and Doug E Fresh's 'La di da di.'

But besides these greats there was Ange and Tricia - they're stage name, T&A (yes...intended). The crowd went wild for their version of Black Sheep's 'The Choice is Yours'. I was so proud. For one, they had the guts to get up there and do it...but for two - they rocked!! For the rest of the night people kept coming up to them and telling them how great they were! I think they should defintely go back to this monthly affair. But Tricia thinks they've peaked and can't top their inaugural performance. I think they could - it all comes down to picking the right song. How about some Michee Me and Maestro - to keep it local?

Whatever the case - I will be back next month, if only as a spectator to check out these people that amaze me. I wish Kanye was there or any of those hip hop greats to see what these people can do with their tracks. It's amazing.

(I have video...but having diffculty uploading...I'll figure it out and post soon)



me.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for posting that horrible pic of me, brat...

12:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home