At a loss for words
I pride myself on being a talker. Yes - I can be shy and quiet on first encounters. But man - if I like you and I feel comfortable enough, don't get me going...I can talk you ear off. And I do it well too. I think I have a pretty decent vocabulary. I'm certainly no Webster's Dictionary - but I can work 'sporadic' into a sentence.
Yet why in the last two weeks have a been an utter doorknob when it comes to holding a conversation at work. In an team meeting, in a meeting with one of the business leaders and just minutes ago talking to my boss I have been at a total and complete loss for words. I stutter...I spend ages, uming and ahhing, as I search for the right word and my sentences ...aren't complete sentences! I am actually quite shocked that my boss even knew what I was talking about just now. Especially as English is not his first language and I did not make it any easier for him.
Yesterday it was the word value that eluded me! Can you imagine I couldn't complete this sentence "..it be would cost effective yet at the same time...ummm....ahhh, provide, uh, provide...what's the word I'm looking for??...' and then my coworker came to my rescue, 'Value'. 'Right, provide added value...'
In fact as I type this I realize there is a word I am looking for to describe this whole situation...I just had it and now I've lost it again. Seriously - what is up with the vocabulary side of my brain??
me.
PS
eloquent - thats the word I was looking for - why am i no longer capable of any eloquence?
Labels: me

2 Comments:
LOL..you're hilarious.
you're not a doorknob at work, i think you're just nervous - that's all.
Hey Lex,
i have the 3pm verbal dislexia at work every day. heres some helpful tips i use to cover it up:
1)when its your turn to talk, eat something. whatever it is, put it in your mouth - cookie, chocolate, a pen, whatever. follow that up by repeatedly saying 'mmmm'
2)ask questions. my favourite is "how did that make you feel?". it works with almost any situation
3)smile a lot. some nods are good too.
4) repeatedly disclaim that you are having an 'off' day due to overworking...
ie - "uh, i cant think of the word right now.. i'm so tired from overworking..."
or
ie - "shoot, i remember what point i was trying to make. this is so unlike me! I guess i'm not perfect after all!"
and the last tip, which is my favourite:
5) act snotty and intellectual with even if you dont know what you are saying. make shit up; be as condescending as possible:
ie _ "i'm sorry, i dont know what your talking about"
or
"um, where did you get that information from?"
or
"well... you know what i mean, dont you?"
or
"obviously YOU dont understand what i'm saying."
The key to the last thing is to talk down to people as MUCH as possible. remember, you may not know what the f*ck your talking about, but you are hotter and therefore better than them.
thats my dr. phil column for today.
Dr. Jeffie
Post a Comment
<< Home