Countdown to the Golden Globes
So I just actually sat down and mapped out my predictions for this year's Golden Globes. Yes, I am a little disappointed at the change in format - Golden Globe night is after all one of my favourite nights of the year (tied with the Oscars and the Daytime Emmy evenings).
BUT this year's tv nominations leave us Canadians out in the cold a bit (no pun intended) - which is why I haven't paid it much attention until today. In terms of tv (my area of expertise) the vast majority of nominees are from cable programming which is a huge deal for the cable networks...in the US. Here in Canada - we only get to see a handful of those shows. Big Love, Damages, Dexter, Mad Men...all major nominiees...all shows that don't air in Canada...yet. Eventually we usually do get a peak at these much hyped about shows but it's usually long after it's aired in the US...sometimes we're a whole season or two behind.
So all I can really do is comment on the shows I have seen and cross my fingers for them...Pushing Daisies, Ugly Betty and Brothers and Sisters - I'm routing for you.
Most especially for Rachel Griffiths as Best Supporting Actress in a TV Series on Brothers and Sisters. This chick is awesome and well on her way to being in my favourite actresses of all time category. She lives her dialogue...when she's on screen I can barely imagine her words on the pages of a script - that's how well she owns her character, even in those scenes where she doesn't say a word...she says so much. Same goes for Sally Field (who is nominated for Best Actress and plays Rachel's characters mom)...I missed her 'era' by a few years...but I know the legacy...and man does she deliver...every award and accolade she has every received is well deserved and she deserves more.
As for the movie part of the night. This year I've defintely had a chance to see more of the movies nominated than I did last year. But nothing really stands out for me the way Titanic or Traffic or Walk the Line has in the past. While Michael Clayton was incredibly heavy...the acting was really excellent and I think that's what kept me interested. Of course with Denzel and Russell as the leading men, American Gangster couldn't help but be really good as well. But that's the thing...I feel like all of the nominees, save for Juno are just REALLY good. Nothing has wowed me. Like Juno did. So clever, so different, so unique, so sweet. So derserving of the Best Picture Musical or Comedy.
*Fingers crossed*
me.

1 Comments:
Hey we do get Mad Men....on AMC, doesn't everyone get that channel?! Channel 54...
Post a Comment
<< Home