Two new books
I've been reading a lot lately and I have a pile of books on my bookshelf still waiting to be read...but this weekend I just couldn't face any of them. I wanted something easy, something familiar, something light - I wanted chick lit. But I wanted good chick lit. The kind I could depend on - not those twenty something-girl-lives-in-the-big-city-and can't-get-her-life-together-first-time-author chick lit that Red Dress Ink offers. I wanted Sophie and Meg and Emily.
Unfortunately - I've read almost everything Sophie and Meg and Emily have to offer. I was distressed and then I remembered a re-release of one of Meg's first novels for adults and I was on a mission. Two bookstores later I had a copy of 'She Went All the Way' in hand and I was happy. If you've ever read a book by Meg Cabot she is simple and laugh out loud funny. Her humour and the characters in her books kinda remind me of I love Lucy and all her zany antics. Exactly what I needed (the link to her blog which is just as hilarious is to the left).
And then - on the way to the checkout I spied 'Dead Until Dark' by Charlaine Harris. You may have heard that the new HBO series True Bood is based on this series of vampire novels. I've watched two eps and it's intriguing. AND as vampires are the new wizards - I couldn't pass it up. So I got that too.
As per usual my reading ADD kicked in and about 10 pages into She Went All the Way I just had to read a page of Dead Until Dark....I am now almost 100 pages in. I couldn't put it down!! Partly because I've seen the second and third episode of the show which was pretty much the first two chapters of the book and partly because it's good! It really is. It's exactly what I needed. I wanted something that got me excited, that I couldn't wait to get home to read, that I was forcing myself to stay awake for. And I found it!
So in the end it wasn't the chick lit that I really wanted...although Meg's book is up next and I am eagerly anticipating that one as well. It was something exciting and completley far removed from my reality. Surprised? No, me neither.
me.
Win a trip with your 3 best buddies. Enter today.

2 Comments:
Lex, may I recommend Bitten by Kelley Armstrong? I know you've gotten into the vampire hype -once you've had enough - move on over to the werewolves. I have a feeling that you'll really like The Otherworld Series. Bitten, Stolen and Broken feature my favorite characters (Elena and Clay). Trust me on this!
omg - i actually have bitten! someone gave it to me and it's been sitting on my bookshelf for years!! (seriously!) i've been meaning to read it just never got around to it. i'm on it now though!
Post a Comment
<< Home