My Stuff

Things I love, things I hate, things that make me happy, things that make me sad and all my other stuff.

Sunday, June 10, 2007

So many books...so little time...

Thanks to the long bus rides to and from work last year, I got to take full advantage of two hours of uninterrupted time a day to catch up on reading to my hearts content. I'd go through at least a book every two weeks...some would take just a week if I was really enjoying it. And I loved it! Easily the only good part about commuting. But since December - when I started working in Mississauga again. I have finished exactly 3 books. 3 books in 6 months. 2 books which I read in one week while I was on vacation. How sad is that?? For a book geek like me, it's miserable.

I added the 'recent books in my library' feature to the left (on this page) just this year...and from the inventory of books in there you can see I have not been doing a lot of reading. I could have added all of my favourites and the many books I managed to finish reading last year, but I wanted the feature to be current. Which it is. But it's dismal as well. A constant reminder of how I'm too tired at the end of the day to read more than a page in bed before my eyes are drooping closed and that I am clearly all consumed by my PVR.

But summer is here and if there's one thing I love about the summer...it's sitting outside, with a cool drink and a good book. My task now is organizing myself and the many books on my bookshelf - which is currently teetering precariously with the weight of books stacked high waiting to be read - and figure out what to tackle first.

The unfinished pile - it's weird. But I do it. I have a knack for starting a book and not finishing it. No matter how much I am enjoying it. I can put it down and forget about it for days, which turns into weeks, by which point I am usually intrigued by another new title and inevitably sidetracked for good. I think it's a testament to my love of reading. So many books...so little time...Currently piled beside my bed with bookmarks still in place are:

Suite Francaise
Love Walked In
East of Eden

The chicklit pile - usually quick and easy reads. Escapism at it's best and perfect for perking you up after a particularly heavy read (like the Time Traveller's Wife or A Million Little Pieces). Borrowed from Arnelle sometime in the winter and still waiting to be read:

Baby Proof
Queen of Babble
Debutante Divorcee

The author pile - I loved the first few books I read by Jodi Picoult and now I'm determined to read them all. So currently waiting in the wings are:

The Pact
The Tenth Circle
Nineteen Minutes

The recommended pile: Julia was appaled that I have never read a book by Joy Fielding. She insists I will love them and has lent me:

Grand Avenue
See Jane Run

The wishlist - my wishlist at chapters.com is 18 books long...and growing...The two lists above prove I have more than enough books at home waiting to be read. But nothing beats the smell and the feel and the anticipation of what awaits in a brand new book, so the idea is burning in my mind to go out and buy:

A Mighty Heart
Getting Rid of Matthew
Jane Austen Book Club

And on that note, I feel like I should probably quit typing and pick up a book. I'll keep you posted on which pile I choose from.

me.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home