90210...in hindsight
My PVR records 90210 every Saturday and Sunday so that there is always a multitude of episodes for me to choose from whenever the feeling for a little taste of the Peach Pit hits. This week I've been trying to catch up a little. Watching so many episodes in a row, and as a 30 year old adult, I've noticed some things about the show I never noticed before. Apart from the fact that Dylan has some grey hair and Steve looks like he should be someone's dad - yet they play 18 year olds - and people wore their pants way to high in the 90's. I've also realized:
1. Dylan is a jerk. Seriously, if I knew a guy like this I'd think he was a pompous asshole and could never be his friend. They are freshman in university, trying to have fun and enjoy their first year and he does nothing but brood and complain. In fact, he always has. Back in high school when I first watched this show, everyone thought Dylan was the epitome of cool. No he's not! Who wants to hang out with someone that is no fun whatsoever! Case and point: The freshman pool party. He thinks it's childish and silly. Doesn't want to go and tells Kelly so. So Kelly goes anyways (yay Kell! at least she doesn't sit around wasting away her good years on him). He decides to show up, she's talking to John Sears (who we ultimately know ends up being a slimeball...but he doesn't know that). Dylan gets up in his face then refuses to participate in any of the acitivites. Kelly, thrilled that he at least showed up, doesn't call him on his rudeness to John Sears and is forced to stand off to the side, holding his hand observing everyone else's fun. In one episode she actually said to him 'why do you have to be so different?' Seriously. They're only 18 - live a little!
2. According to Brenda - the world is coming to an end. I have yet to see Breanda say or do anything pleasant. Or smile naturally. Everything is a huge catastrophe in Brenda's world...be it looking for a job, pledging a sorority or deciding what to wear. She can't do anything without making it a big dramatic moment and uttering someone's name in a that whiny way that only Shannon Doherty can do..."Brandon..." "Kelly..." even "David..." And please refresh my memory - was it ever cool to have every last button on your button down shirt done up?? I don't remember that.
In conclusion, Dylan and Brenda should have stayed together. Their two miserable souls are a true match.
me.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home