My Stuff

Things I love, things I hate, things that make me happy, things that make me sad and all my other stuff.

Monday, May 28, 2007

Wednesday, May 23

In the words of an awesome country song: what was I thinking?

I joined a volleyball team. Apparently, it would seem that as the years have passed I forgot a) how bad i am at team sports (tennis, anyone?) and b) volleyballs scare me.

The second we got to the courts and I heard the thump, thump of the ball hitting people's forearms it all came flooding back. Grade 5. Standing near the portable steps. Minding my own business, chatting with my friends. The grade 6 boys, seemingly unable to find a soccer ball are playing soccer with a volleyball. Someone who apparently thinks he's the next Pele kicks it hard and the ball comes flying towards me and hits me straight in the chest (where my boobs are slowly developing and therefore sensitive and sore) knocking the wind right out of me and sending my glasses flying off my face. It hurt. I think I cried. Gasping for air and the realization that your boobs may never grow pass the tiny little A-cup bra I could barely fill would make anyone cry.

It was a traumatic experience I had seemingly blocked from my memory until that sound brought it all flooding back.

Being the trooper that I am, I wasn't about to let that sway me. So I played. And I really tried. But it would seem, volleyball is not my thing. At least not last night. I think maybe I'm not quick enough...can't get my brain to process the need to respond to the ball flying towards me with either a volley or a bump fast enough.

I'm not giving up that easily though. I've got find some time to fit some practice in and get my butt in gear. I am not 12 anymore and I will not be the last person picked in gym class anymore...even if it's just metaphorically speaking.

Luckily my team didn't seem too upset over the fact that we lost ALL THREE of our games. So I'm using their positive attitudes as inspiration to focus and WIN next Tuesday.

me.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

fyi - we only won one game the entire season last year Lex. We play to have fun!

Nerak

3:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home