My Stuff

Things I love, things I hate, things that make me happy, things that make me sad and all my other stuff.

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

It's true about Asparagus

You know when someone tells you something and you know there's a good chance it could be true...but are doubtful it's exactly the way they tell it?
 
That's how I was when I heard the thing about asparagus. 
 
The thing about it making your pee smell.
 
Until I witnessed it first hand. 
 
It's not just a slight odour that maybe someone with a sensitive sense of smell might pick up.  No.  It's there.  And it's strong.  And it happens so quickly!  You're drinking a glass of wine with dinner and decide to break the seal while you wait for the dessert and sure enough - you'll be reminded of the asparagus in your appetizer.
 
It is the weirdest thing if you ask me.  It never ceases to amazes me.  Everytime I eat asparagus...without fail I am still partially shocked at the reality of it.  And I can't help but want to discuss it with everyone.
 
Like last Friday night at a party someone mentioned it and I got so excited and animated as we disscussed, you would never believe the conversation was about the odour of pee, post asparagus consumption.  In fact this person claims that your entire down there area has a particular odour for awhile following.
 
Defintely, makes me want to rethink my asparagus consumption.
 
me.
 

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

it smells like bad plastic! and you know it's bad when you leave the bathroom and some else comes in and says..."have you been eating asparagus!?"
anyways the smell is a sulfur compound (mercaptan)in the asparagus...and when we metabolize it - hence our pee smells!
did you know some people dont have the enzyme to break down mercaptan....so some people can get away with eating asparagus and not have the pee stink...Hence you have the enzyme and there fore your pee stinks. Lucky US!

11:02 PM  
Blogger Lex said...

arnellie - you are so smart. that's why i'm friends with you.

7:38 PM  
Blogger karengreeners said...

It also makes your pee green, but i'm sure you noticed that too. for years, nobody would produce asparagus for baby food, because they didn't want parents to freak out over their baby's green pee!

3:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home