In case you hadn't noticed, I have no rhythm
Yes, I've always known that despite my heritage...I have no rhythm. I was all made painfully clear to me the night they invited the parents in at the end of my Jazz 1 class when I was about 7 or 8. After our inpromptu performance and as I gathered my things my mom said "I don't think dance is for you, you don't have any rhythm." Needless to say, my passion for that class waned quickly and I never took dance again.
But today - I ventured into the world of choregraphed dance once again with the BodyJam class at my gym. It's basically dance aerobics. And wow - was it fun. And wow, was I bad. I couldn't help laughing as I swung my hips back and forth totally out of sync with the instructor and the other women in the class. And when we did some spins and I struggled to regain my balance while the rest of the class had already moved on to the next step I imagined the hippo in the pink tutu. I must have looked so funny to the instructor. Flailing around and trying to keep up, completely off of the beat. And just when I thought I had mastered something she would throw an arm movement in. Who knew that my arms and my legs couldn't do two different things at once? It was a shock to me as well, as I almost went tumbling over...more than once.
The latin parts weren't too bad. I can salsa a bit and kinda keep up with the mambo. We even did a little Bollywood segment - I swear I felt like I was in a song and dance scene of a Bollywood movie. But the hip-hop was horrible. Sorry Jay Z, Beyonce and Rhianna. But I ruined your songs.
Like I said though, I had fun. And I sweated. And I felt good after. I mean how could you not feel good working out...and laughing hysterically. Albeit I was laughing by myself, at myself...but I'm going back on Sunday. Hopefully it'll be the same routines and I can really work on perfecting the steps. Maybe after I've got that down I can worry about staying in time to the music.
'Cuz when I've got it perfected - I will have the most awesome rountine to Fergie's London Bridge! Watch out Karen!
"How come everytime you come around/My london, london bridge wanna go down/My london, london, london..."
me.

2 Comments:
That sounds awesome Lex! I'll have to check out T.dot for something like that. I heard awhile ago about the other craze...Bhangra Aerobics. Fyi - have they done any Usher?
I took a Salsa Baby class after Alex was born, and man - I was BAD. Not just bad, but baaaaaaaaad. I had fun though and I kept going back. Now I can do the basic steps and I don't care if anyone thinks I'm terrible - it's fun!
You go!!!!
Post a Comment
<< Home