Did you vote?
I just learned today that some members of my extended family do not vote! Gah!! I am absolutely horrified.
Our most important democratic right, the only opportunity we have to make a difference in our country and they don't vote! It's disturbing on so many levels. As immigrants especially, you would think they would be proud and excited to be a part of this process.
And I don't buy that whole, 'it doesn't matter what I say' excuse. The very fact that each of the parties has supporters makes a difference in government. The opposition is crucial to what happens in this country.
My Granny who is showing serious signs of dementia had the where with all to ask my mom to come home early so that she can take her to vote! Can you imagine? Some days she doesn't even recognize us and this morning she made a point of making sure she would be able to do her civic duty.
It just kills me that over Thanksgiving dinner they can discuss McCain and Obama...and then when questioned about our own Canadian politics admit that they're not even voting. I can only hope that this kind of behaviour is a minority. But I fear that might just be the optimist in me...
me.
Use Windows Live Messenger to send messages to your buddies on their mobile phones Find out more on our PC to Mobile website

3 Comments:
i love Granny.
p.s.
i voted :)
I have to admit, that since being able to vote, I haven't... BUT i don't think i've ever been enrolled.. to be honest i dont know how to vote. i also don't remember needing to vote while i was home. Since leaving the country i understand that the govt' has changed heaps but again i have no idea how to vote - whether in the country or not. peace amy
Post a Comment
<< Home