Fan Expo 2008
I've finally admitted it. I am a closet sci-fi geek. Or maybe not so closeted... Whatever, the case, Karen and I ventured even further into the world of geekdom this weekend at Fan Expo (an exhibiton of all things releated to comic books, anime, horror and sci-fi)...a smaller, less glitzy, Canadian version of Comic Con.
We figured as it was our first time out we'd just scope out the scene and get prepared for next time...if there was to be a next time...
Here's what we learned:
1. Buy your tickets online. We stood in line for an hour to get our tickets. There were only 4 ticket kiosks...for a show expecting over 30,000 people!! Even the Wine and Cheese show has more ticket sellers. Anyways - Karen and I got in some good BFF bonding time while we stood in line and believe it or not I learned something new about her - she's never seen (or read) Flowers in the Attic!! For shame! It's next on our rental list, wether she likes it or not.
2. Change in the bathroom. There were a lot people in costume. Really funky, elaborate...sometimes a bit creepy costumes. I figured they must be really brave and die-hard fans to ride the subway and walk the streets of dowtown Toronto like that. But on a trip to the bathroom Karen reported back that there were a bunch of people changing in there. A-ha! I knew the people of Toronto probably wouldn't take kindly to Hellboy walking amongst them. Speaking of which, Hellboy was one of the few costumes I recognized. I think A LOT of the costumes were based on anime characters - of which I know nothing about.
3. Bring an expert...or become one. If there's one thing I can say about my limited interaction with comic enthuisiasts it's that they are the nicest fans. They are really, really excited about their hobby and they want you to get excited too! They are willing and patient enough to explain everything to you. And there is a lot to know! Much more than the people working the show have the time to explain to you...although they are more than willing, which is why I say bring an expert. As much as I appreciated the show, I bet it would be even so much more fun if I knew a thing or two more, which is why it would be fun to go with someone who is really into this stuff.
4. Bring snacks. Seriously. The line-up for food is insane. And the food sucks. However, if you buy your tickets online...you wouldn't have to waste so much time waiting in line and be starving by the time you get into the show and therefore avoid this whole problem. But to be on the safe side, bring the snacks (which will need to be carefully hidden in your bag).
5. You have to pay. If you want to get your celebrity autograph, it's going to cost you. Edward James Olamos - Captain Adama, on Battlestar Gallactica - and Sean Astin (one of the Hobbits...) were the two we got most excited about...(and I'll admit, Brent Spinner who played Lt. Data on ST:TNG was pretty cool) but we weren't excited enough to shell out the cash (although Karen did use her zoom lens to take some illegal pictures). That being said I don't think the same rule applies for the comic book artists and writers, etc. who are also in attendance. Being as I'm not an aforementioned expert we didn't venture into that side of things...but I think they might be a bit more giving...
And on this same note I have to wonder why on earth Kristy Swanson was there...yes, she played Buffy in the original movie (and was also Cathy in Flowers in the Attic!!)...but let's be honest here...does anyone even care about her version of Buffy or Donald Sutherland as her watcher??? PUH-LEASE. SMG is the one and only true Buffy and everyone knows that!
We also didn't sit in on any of the seminars or Q&A sessions so I can't comment on that, but I bet they were probably good. For the fans, I'm sure this show is Christmas come early. But Karen and I realized when it comes down to it...were still just big TV addicts. Afterall...the things that got us most excited were when we glimpsed references to tv shows or movies we love like BSG and LOTR (that one was Karen...I never made it past Part 1 of LOTR). It would be nice if they incorporated more of that stuff like they do at Comic Con - Heroes, Supernatural, Buffy, Twilight, etc. all have HUGE fan bases that are fanatic enough to shell out the money to experience just a little something from the franchise.
me. (with additional posting input from Karen)
.


Labels: good things

1 Comments:
FanExpo was definitely something to see and worth it. I really enjoyed it! Lex - your blog covered it all - well put! Btw piece of advice: always take lots of pictures to document the experience!
Nerak
Post a Comment
<< Home