Birthday Thoughts
Yep. It's my day. Today at approximately 9:40 am (or so my mom thinks...that could in fact be the time my sister Melissa was born and if that's the case then it was 2:00pm....) I turned the big...3....1.....yes, it hurts to even type it.
While I've been pretty negative about this impending day. As today progressed...I couldn't help but come up with more and more reason to be happy...and dare I say, enjoy they day.
1. As I walked from the parking lot to the car, I looked down at my shoes (peep toe brown pumps) and freshly manicured toes and realized 'damn, I have cute shoes'.
2. My mom, who I have barely been on speaking terms with the last few weeks was the first phone call I received and she said the exact same words she has said on this day for as long as I can remember "Happy Birthday Baby. It was 31 (insert whatever age I am on that day) years ago today that you, our first born came into the world..." and she proceeds to tell me how excited they were and how my dad counted all my fingers and toes...etc. It's the same story every year...and every year I must admit, I love hearing it.
3. In the span of a half an hour I heard from the four most special people in my world: Karen, Angie, Arnelle and Karrie. Their excitement over my birthday was a little contagious.
4. The power of facebook: having my birthday show up on everyones home page when they log in...garnered me birthday wishes from people that would surely never have remembered my birthday or even known it was today. By lunch hour, I was up to 21 new wall posts!!
5. I got not one...but two beautiful boquets of flowers - my absolute favourite thing to get. 18 roses seperated into two vases at home and an assortment of wild flowers on my desk at work. They smell wonderfull!
Sure I may be 10 lbs heavier and lots more in debt than I was last year. And I didn't party till I puked or have a fancy expensive dinner, but I did get lots of reminders that I am loved...the best birthday present any girl could ask for.
me.

3 Comments:
awwww you're making me cry!!!!
oh that was me 'crying' ...you're emotional non-enabled friend - NERAK
Happy Belated Birthday Lex! I'm sorry i'm a little late, but at my age memory fades quickly. Don't you worry though young lady you're still years away from that!
frank
Post a Comment
<< Home