A Good Pain
...sneaking in a quick post during work hours! it's ok though...i worked through most of my lunch, so i figure they'll forgive me.
You’re lucky I didn’t post earlier in the day as I feel a bit better now…this morning, it would not have been such a kind post.
I started a kickboxing class yesterday and boy am I feeling it! I’ve taken a number of cardio kickbox type classes over the years, but this one is the real martial arts kind of class. We have to bow in and bow out and all that cool disciplined stuff. It’s still a really light class though, as I’m taking it through the city. But I think if at the end of the 9 weeks I still really love it, I’m going to find out which studio my teacher works at and really get into it. It’s the only form of exercise I’ve ever really loved. It’s not boring and repetitive like running or the eliptical – it requires quick thinking! My only thing is…I don’t want to spar with anyone, I don’t think I could deal with it if someone punched me in the face on purpose…but I love punching and kicking the precision mitt and the bag.
The warm up yesterday totally reminded me of elementary school gym class – we had to run laps!! The class is in a room that resembles an elementary school gym with the lines painted on the floor and the instructor goes. “Ok, we’re going to run for 8 mins, follow the white lines.” Of course I felt a wave or dread and horror – I am not a runner. We start out and everyone is zipping past me…I felt like such a loser with my light jog…(I have to…I’ve actually had my knees buckle and I’ve totally wiped out on the few occasions I tried to push it.) However 5 mins later…those that zipped past me were walking and I was still running! He had us changing form, like running backwards and sideways (kinda like moving jumping jacks) which thankfully broke the monotony of a plain run…the next thing I knew he was like, 1 more minute! I was shocked! I hadn’t stopped yet!! I guess I’m in better shape than I thought! Yipee! The drills were easy as I’ve taken kickboxing before, so again I was proud…I had pretty good form compared to some people!
However, thanks to that good form, my muscles got a work out…and getting out of bed this morning, not so fun! I usually go to the gym at lunch, but this morning I looked at my gym bag and thought, ‘uh-uh’.
At the end of class we did some insane ab work. People were actually screaming in pain as he pushed us to fit the last few in. I loved it! Such a good workout.
Back to work.
me.

1 Comments:
Interesting, I'm tempted to give a class like that a shot too.
Post a Comment
<< Home