Kicking the Habit
My sister and I are kicking some habits together this month.
She's giving up smoking. I'm giving up junk food.
I figure if she can kick a habit that is so ingrained in her daily life. I can manage to say no to that cookie in the vending machine.
You may think it's funny...but I really think that junk food is just as addictive as smoking. Sometimes my body is just screaming for that grease, that fat, that salt. I've known for years that I am an emotional eater. Not only do I associate eating with celebrations - as many people do. When I'm sad or lonely, scared or stressed out or just plain bored, I eat. I realized it most blantly a few weeks ago. I was paying bills and balancing my budget and I realized I wasn't at all where I thought I was. Just after my stomach dropped in shock...my brain told me I need chips. CHIPS. When do we ever NEED chips. Exactly. That's when I knew it wasn't my brain...but the stress talking.
I've kicked the junk food habit before...and I know I can again. In fact I really only fell back into it because it became a social thing - my coworkers were into treats and I'd eat the chocolate bar not 'cuz I wanted it...but because it was there, it was something to do and the next thing I knew...I was craving something I had never craved before. In my fittest days (circa age 26-27) I craved apples...and celery. I want to crave that again.
So as Mel hits the road for a vacation with her husband, we agreed that we'd be like each others psuedo AA sponsor. When she feels the need for a smoke and doesn't think she can make it...she'll call me. And when my coworkers are enticing me to join them at the vending machine for that 3:00 pm snack...I'm going to call her instead.
One day down for both of us...lots more to go.
me.
Upgrade to Hotmail Plus and share more photos with bigger attachments. Click here to find out how Click here to find out how

3 Comments:
Good for you girlfriend. That's excellent, I'm right there with you Lex, I'll kick my addiction too!!
That's really awesome Lex! You can do it. First few weeks are the hardest but you can do it. Call me when you feel the urge and trust me I will discourage you.
nerak.
want a salty snack go with something like wheat thins and hummus.
want something sweet, go with dried fruit, still high sugar, but high fibre and always the better choice.
vending machines are horrible money sucking, cellulite giving machines. they are evil.
peace amy
Post a Comment
<< Home