Summer reading update #1
So I decided to tackle the 'unfinished pile' since I figured I'd feel a sense of accomplishment on a number of fronts with that pile. 1. For actually finishing a book and 2. For actually getting through the pile. I completed Love Walked In...
...but then i got sidetracked. By a most amazing book. A Mighty Heart, by Mariane Pearl. What an amazing story. You may have heard of it because the movie is coming out this Friday staring Angelina Jolie...but I was aware of this book and have been wanting to read it for awhile. The fact that the movie is coming out, just forced me to push it to the top of my list so that I could finish it before I see the movie.
But now I'm wondering if I even want to see the movie. It is a horrifyingly fascinating story. It's horrifying that something like this actually happened. But fascinating because there is no way you could ever imagine yourself in this situation. The story is the true account of the kidnapping and subsequent murder of Wall Street Journal reporter Daniel Pearl, from the perspective of his wife Mariane Pearl.
As I read there is a pit in my stomach and a lump in my throat. I almost want to slam the book closed and stop reading, because why should I inflict such sadness on myself. I know how it will end. But my feelings are probably nothing compared to what Mariane was feeling and still does - although she does an excellent job of painting a picture of her life, her thoughts and her feelings as she struggles with the FBI and the Pakistani police to find her husband.
So after this, I'm hitting the chicklit pile. While I am touched by this book. I will need to pull myself out of this slump and perk my spirits with some fluff.
I have until July 21...the release of the latest and greatest and final Harry Potter installment...to keep working through my piles!
me.
Labels: books

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home