My Stuff

Things I love, things I hate, things that make me happy, things that make me sad and all my other stuff.

Monday, June 15, 2009

ER Memories

I may be tv obsessed. But there are a few shows that stand out. And you will know them by my collection of promotional items:

Dean and Deluca coffee mug - check Felicity obsession
Dunder Mifflin keychain - see Office fanatasism
Pathers t-shirt - Friday Night Lights dedication
etc.

But before all of that there was my ER t-shirt. My first tv show keepsake. My first full fledged tv-obsession.

In that first episode (a 2-hour movie if you recall) when Dr. Carter nervously stumbled into the ER I was hooked...but it was Carol's attempted suicide that really got me. Suddenly this show wasn't just about Dr's treating patients, it was about people. And from there my obsession grew. I can distinctly remember moments and conversations about this show like no other show I've watched before or after:

Sitting in Western European History class in my last year of high school...my back turned on the teacher so that I could chat with the girl behind me about Carol's impending nuptials and if Dr. Ross would get the nerve to stop it...my biggest fears about moving away to university wondering "What if they girls on my floor don't watch ER?"...and on my drunkest of nights - coming home and passing out before my roomate Tammy was even finished watching the show...Crying so hard I got a crying headache and my eyes were still red rimmed the next morning when Dr. Greene died and I distinctly remember Abby being stabbed in a season finale i watched on a flight to NYC with my girls. The episode where Miranda from Sex and the City guest starred as a patient that was aware of everything that was going on around her but couldn't speak has scarred me for life...

Even though I fell off the bandwagon these last few years I had to tune in for the series finale and it was worth every minute. ER is one of those really classic tv shows and I think it's really cool that I got to see it right from the beginning.

The opening credits from the series finale merged old with new...and I honestly think this is one of the best tv themes ever. Makes me feel like it's Thursday.



me.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home