My Stuff

Things I love, things I hate, things that make me happy, things that make me sad and all my other stuff.

Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Guilt and Sacrifice

I've given up chocolate and chips for Lent.  (For the non-Catholics out there, look it up on Wikipedia.) 
 
My sister has always observed Lent - she's good that way.  Every year she gives up one of her vices...it's not always easy.  In fact some times it's down right hilarious...like the year she gave up pizza. C'mon. If you know my family...you know we practically live off of pizza.  Needless to say...she was pretty miserable most Friday nights.  But she stuck to it.  And I guess that's the point of the Lent - to make that huge, difficult sacrifice.
 
My reason for giving up chocolate and chips was two-fold.  One, I wanted to observe Lent (I used to as a kid, but hadn't in years) and two...it was for health reasons 'cuz lately I have just been eating way too much junk.
 
But now I'm having anxiety dreams.  About chocolate.  In one dream I forgot I had given it up and was chowing down on chocolate brownies.  In another dream I was trying to rationalize why it would be ok for me to have just one piece of a Kit Kat bar.   I wake up from my dreams with this overwhelming sense of guilt and fear that I have sinned. 
 
Clearly I'm subconciously afraid I will fail.   Although thus far I've been pretty good.  I haven't even felt tempted to cheat.  Maybe that's 'cuz I've found other substitutes which have totally been negating the health factor of it all.  But on the bright side I can now highly recommend the peanut butter cookies at Tim Hortons and Sara Lee frozen cheesecakes.
 
me.


Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home